Magazines summary & stats of Jims Chevy V-4 Midget Engine & Car
- Block: 283 Chevy V-8 cut in half. 3-7/8 bore.
- Compression ratio: 11 1/2:1 (with the heads)
- Stroke: 3" stroke.
- C.I: 144 cubic inches.
- RPM: over 7000 rpm.
- Length: is just over 12 1/2 inches with hardened thick aluminum plate caps the end of block.
- Gaskets: Special Gaskets cut to insure water and oil sealing.
- Oil Holes: all oil holes are chamferred.
- Main Bearings: Milodon ductile iron four-bolt main bearing caps with standard small block studs used for main caps and heads.
- Locks: Double Spiro locks.
- Camshaft: McGurk custom short Camshaft. Machined brass thrust plate on front for camshaft opening.
- Lifters: McGurk Lifters, Springs and retainers.
- End Rods: 180 degree rod throws are cut to accept the large diameter big end rods. Hank the Crank Chrome Molly Rods
- Head Castings: Late model 2.02-inch intake high performance slant plug cylinder head castings base the heads.
-- Heads 2.02 Intakes and Devcon Plastic Filler used in water passages.
- Valve Covers: Fabricated Stelling sectioned polished alumnum.
- Rockers: Harland Sharp Roller tipped, needle bearing Rockers.
- Chain: Coyles Double Roller Chain.
- Injectors: Sectioned Hilborn Injectors.
- Pumps: Lehman Pumps for oil and water and Hillborn injector pump supplies the fuel.
- Headers: Custom fabricated headers by Jim.
- Pan: Custom Davis Dry Sump Pan
- Pumps: Lehman Dry sump pump and Lehman water pump.
- Heads: Heads have screw in rocker arm studs, pushrod guide plates.
- Valves: Stock Chevy valves and perfect circle valve stem seals.
- Crank: Customed machined steel billet Crankshaft , just for this engine.
- Rods: Hank the Crank custom 5.700 inch chrome molly connecting rods.
- Pistons: TRW forged aluminum pistons, lightweight taper bore pins and dual spirolocks.
- Rings: TRW 1/16, 1/16 3/16 (Three piece) Molly filled rings.
- Pushrods: Light Chevy Chrome Molly with hardened inserts.
- Chassis: Frank Kurtis Chassis specially designed for the V-4 setup.
- Rear end: Halibrand Quick Change
- Tranny: In and Out Box,
- Wheels: Halibrand Rims (Wheels)
- Tires: Firestone.
- Brakes: Airheart Disc Brakes.
**Jim made a few Chevy V-4 Engines. His last one is Pictured at top of midget page.
** Much credit Jim gives to Hank Betchloff of Hank the Crank for his help.
** Note: Bobby and Al Unser, Sr. and Paul Jones raced a Chevy V-4 Midget back in 1964.